Sunday, March 19, 2017

What I'm Reading This Week

Dear Readers, 

I've been writing cozy mysteries now for a while, but I have always considered myself first and foremost a reader. Like many of you, I love reading and I always have. One of my biggest New Year's Resolutions has been to read more -- I often get caught up in my work and reading is the first thing to get crossed off the list. However, so far this year, I've kept my resolution of reading more (the only one, in fact! :) Three months, nine books, and going strong! It's been so fun to get back to it, and I thought I would have a little feature here on my blog sharing what I'm reading lately. I'd love if you'd comment and tell me what you're reading lately, too! Or if you've read any of these, let me know what you thought of the book! 

Just Read: 

Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan


I'm on a bit of Western kick lately. This non-fiction biography is about Edward Curtis, the photographer who spent his life photographing and documenting North American tribes in the early 1900s. I absolutely loved this book and can not recommend it enough, especially if you enjoy reading about the West! I love reading about people who are completely consumed with their art and work. This is also a fascinating look at Native American cultures and how much was lost in the years following Western expansion. An excellent read. 






Currently Reading: 

American Ghost by Hannah Nordhaus


As I said, I'm on a bit of a Western kick! This one is particularly fun for me because I live less than a mile away from the haunted hotel that this book is about -- The Julia Staab Mansion, which is now the La Posada Hotel here in Santa Fe. I'm enjoying this book so far. I'm reading it partly as research for a Santa Fe-based mystery series I'm planning on releasing in 2018. 










Jammed by Deany Ray


I was hooked by this cute cover! I enjoy reading a lot of different kinds of books, but sometimes I enjoy reading books in my own genre, too. I liked the opening line of this one: "What does it mean that the highlights of your workday are a cookie and the chance to slip out early?" Been there! :)










In Reading Queue: 

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

I love reading mysteries based in Los Angeles, and for some reason, I particularly love reading them in the spring. I got to meet Michael Connelly at Bouchercon this past September (actually, it was more like I took my friend's picture with him and nervously smiled while hoping I didn't mess up the photo. :) I've read some of the Lincoln Lawyer series, and I've seen the Amazon television show for the Bosch novels, but haven't actually read them for myself. I'm excited to finally start on this series! Especially with season 3 of Bosch coming out this April. 





What are you reading these days? Post in the comments below. I'd love to hear about your own reading lists! 

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment