Thursday, March 14, 2019

Cinnamon's Top Five Pie Cookbooks for Pi Day!

Happy Pi Day, Readers! Cinnamon Peters — the pie-baking and crime-solving extraordinaire from my Christmas River Series — had a few things she wanted to share with you today in honor of 3.14.
So without further ado, here’s her list of Five Pie Cookbooks for Pi Day!

From Cinnamon:

You can always tell a good cookbook when you see one -- the corners should be soft and worn, the pages should be caked with flour, and it should be so wrinkled that the recipes are hard to read. Those are the hallmarks of a well-loved and high quality cookbook, and in my pie shop, I have a handful that have gone through years of this tough love treatment. They hold a special place on my bookshelf and in my heart.
Here are a few of those that I highly recommend, including a couple recent additions to my pie library that I’m currently loving:


1. The Art of Pie by Kate McDermott

I love Kate’s entire philosophy about pie and life. Part cookbook and also part essay/memoir, this book is a true delight to read. After reading this book, I felt like buying myself my own Pie Cottage like Kate on the Pacific Northwest coast! Plus, this book has tons of beautiful, mouthwatering photos, making it a lovely addition to any cookbook library.

2. Pie Squared by Cathy Barrow


I’m a traditionalist -- I like my pie to come in a round dish and I like it to be cut into nice traditional wedge slices. But this cookbook, which only just came out in 2018, is almost enough to convince me to change up my traditional ways. It's a good reminder that it's worth it to try new things.

3. Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Although this book covers much, much more than just pie, the pies in it are outstanding. It’s a huge, heavy book full of delicious recipes, including one for a lemon tart that's to-die-for if you love your lemon desserts on the sour side! This one also has beautiful photos.

4. Perfect Pies & More by Michele Stuart

l love the creativity featured in this pie book recipe! It’s full of creative, tasty recipes like Candy Bar Pie and Apple Caramel Crunch Pie. Whenever I open this book, I’m reminded that ultimately, baking pie is about having fun and spreading joy!   

5. The Pie & Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

As the title says, this is the ultimate cookbook for pie bakers! This book takes you through every aspect of building a delicious pie and has had a place in my cookbook library for years and years.

PLUS, one bonus pick!

6. Bubby's Homemade Pies by Ron Silver: One of my very favorite pie books ever, this cookbook has given me tons of inspiration at my own pie shop over the years. Unfortunately, this cookbook is out of print, but if you can get your hands on it, I can't recommend it enough! Full of delicious recipes, great tips, and more.

What pie cookbooks do you love? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment