Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The New Year

It’s always hard to start something new. The New Year always brings that thought to the foreground. New resolutions, new diets, new expectations of yourself.  What a pain!
For the past month, my diet has consisted of sugar, pasta, butter and more sugar. It’s been out of control, but I’ve gleefully thrown myself into it like there’s no such thing as broccoli, salads, and balanced meals. During the day at work, I find my stomach rumbling, even though I’ve already eaten more than my fair share of meals for the day. The Christmas season has most definitely turned me into a monster.  
I know a lot of you out there can probably relate. January marks that time of year to start something new. A healthier way of life, a more balanced diet, one that doesn’t involve two servings of homemade macaroni and cheese pasta with a topping off of bread pudding for desert (guilty as charged!).
And as long as we’re talking about starting new things, this January, I’m starting something else very important: my writing career.
That’s not exactly the truth. My writing career has been going for a while. I’ve been in the publishing business for almost three years now. But I have a feeling that this year, it’s becoming real. It’s no longer a longed-for wish that will never come true. It’s no longer a pipe dream. It’s becoming reality. And I can’t tell you how excited I am about that.
Murder in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery is my first book, and it’s exceeded my expectations in terms of sales. Granted, I realize it’s the Christmas season, and that that’s been a big factor in how well it’s done, but it’s a huge breakthrough for me. I’m not able to quit my job as a small town news reporter just yet, but I am able to go on a trip to Hawaii that I otherwise couldn’t have afforded (It’s just like I’ve won the Gingerbread Junction in my book, where the grand prize is a trip to Maui! Crazy how things work out.) So needless to say, I am thrilled.
But aside from sales, the thing that pleases me the most is the fact that people are reading my work. Wowsy! It’s an amazing feeling to know that people out there, all across the country and beyond, are reading about Cinnamon Peters and her pie shop.
I am so excited for the year to come—I’m currently working on the follow-up to the first book which will be called Mayhem in Christmas River, and will be out in March.  
I’m so excited to be able to continue doing what I’ve always loved doing: writing. Except this time, this year, it’s the real deal. And I have you guys out there to thank for that.
 Happy New Year’s! I hope all of you out there have wonderful and exciting ones.
And if you happen to dig into the leftover bread pudding in the fridge sometime this week, don’t beat yourself up about it.
Starting something new takes time!

2 comments:

  1. Such a joy to read good news. Ho'omaika'i 'ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, Meg Muldoon!!! I'm SO happy for you!!! I loved your book and can't wait for Mayhem in March!
    :)
    Jools

    ReplyDelete